28 December 2021

#ReadChristie2021 Wrap-Up



Well, well, well. What a year of reading it has been! I was so excited to get involved with the #ReadChristie2021 campaign, and the idea of exploring old favourites and discovering new gems.

I'm so glad I managed to read an Agatha Christie novel for every single one of my monthly prompts. Now that I've completed the full year, I thought it would be fun to do a full wrap-up with a reminder of each of my ratings, and a short summary of my thoughts. Read on for my full wrap-up! 


My fully completed #ReadChristie2021 postcard!


January

Prompt: a story set in a grand house
My choice: The Hollow
My rating: ✫✫✫✫ 
My review: An underrated novel with a really dynamic cast of characters, and a reminder of the significance of red herrings.

February

Prompt: a story featuring love
My choice: The Secret Adversary
My rating: ✫✫ 
My review: A thriller with a loveable duo that ultimately left me underwhelmed.

March

Prompt: a story featuring a society figure
My choice: Lord Edgeware Dies
My rating: ✫✫✫✫ 
My review: Some interesting ideas and characters tied together in a mystery set across London - but hold the cosy vibes.

April

Prompt: a story set before WWII
My choice: Murder is Easy
My rating: ✫✫✫
My review: A title that drew me in, but that was a little predictable in plot.

May

Prompt: a story featuring tea
My choice: A Pocket Full of Rye
My rating: ✫✫✫✫✫
My review: A lyrical title that packs a punch in story, characters and charm!

June

Prompt: a story featuring a garden
My choice: Nemesis
My rating: ✫✫✫
My review: A favourite among many that I found a bit chaotic and prickly.

July

Prompt: a story featuring a vicar
My choice: The Murder at the Vicarage
My rating: ✫✫✫✫ 
My review: A classic Christie mystery that provides a great introduction to old Miss Marple.

August

Prompt: a story set by the seaside
My choice: And Then There Were None
My rating: ✫✫✫✫✫
My review: Thrilling, powerful, perfect.

September

Prompt: a story featuring a school
My choice: Cat Among the Pigeons
My rating: ✫✫✫✫ 
My review: A blend of quaint and exotic tying together numerous sub-plots in an exciting novel.

October

Prompt: a story set on a mode of transport
My choice: 4:50 From Paddington
My rating: ✫✫✫✫ 
My review: A unique and fantastic idea that didn't quite live up to its potential, but that had brilliantly likeable characters.

November

Prompt: a story set after WWII
My choice: The Pale Horse
My rating: ✫✫✫
My review: A strange but intriguing supernatural idea that didn't quite make up for the flat personalities it told the story of.

December

Prompt: a story set during bad weather
My choice: The Sittaford Mystery
My rating: ✫✫✫
My review: Cosy and inviting, but the story didn't quite invite me in or excite me.

*
My favourite of the year:

If we're talking altogether, it has to be And Then There Were None. If we're just talking about the new reads this year, I'd have to say A Pocket Full of Rye. I found it fun, colourful and full of novelty!

My least favourite of the year:

The Secret Adversary. Although there were a few others that I didn't really love, this was the one I struggled with the most. Although I quite liked Tommy and Tuppence as characters, I found the rest of the story a bit too try-hard and difficult to connect to.

*
So there we have it!

12 months, 12 novels, and a heap of enjoyment directly from the Queen that is Agatha Christie. I'm already excited to map out my choices for #ReadChristie2022 and find some more fantastic reads. 

I hope I've inspired a few people to pick up a Christie book! Make sure to get in touch so we can share our thoughts with each other on any of the novels. And check out more about the #ReadChristie2022 campaign on the official Agatha Christie website.

Until next time, happy sleuthing!


No comments: