27 November 2021

#ReadChristie2021: November - The Pale Horse

 


So here we are - the penultimate #ReadChristie2021 novel of the year! It's flown so much, and I can't believe there's only one month to go. 

When I was planning my reads for each different month, there was one that I was really hoping to fit in, and that was The Pale Horse. It's been on my shelf for such a long time, and I thought it was about time I read it. 

The prompt for November was: a story set after the end of World War II. 

Published in 1961, The Pale Horse was a perfect fit for this one. I knew it had a really unique vibe before I started it, but I wasn't really sure what else to expect. 

Unique it definitely was, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan. Read on for my full thoughts on the novel. 

You can find out more about #ReadChristie2021 and the newly announced #ReadChristie2022 (!) on the official Agatha Christie website.


The Story

This was a really weird one, because it just didn't feel like an Agatha Christie to me. It was far more like a thriller - and I don't tend to enjoy those ones! The Big Four and The Secret Adversary are two of my least favourite of her stories, so I suppose I should have known!

It's just BIZARRE. It took a while to get going, and when it did I just couldn't connect to it. It's a shame, because I did actually think the premise was quite original. A way to mysteriously have someone killed, with no trace, and no questions asked. An intriguing idea, but amidst a lot of random sideplots that were a bit chaotic, and a bit of a reach for me.


The Characters

First of all, I was overjoyed to see the return of my beloved Ariadne Oliver. She's such a fantastic character, and I love that she's a representation of Christie herself. She livens the page up and I definitely needed her presence in The Pale Horse. It was interesting to see the return of Rhoda and Major Despard of Cards on the Table fame as well!

There was plenty nostaliga to keep me entertained, and frankly it's a good job. Of the new characters, it was mightily slim pickings. Mark Easterbrook, although fine, was just a bit weak. He did the job, but he lacked depth, and was just a bit too dull to keep the story moving. 

Of the rest of the characters, I've mostly forgotten them already which tells you something about their overall impact on me...


Overall Rating: ✫✫✫

Overall, this is definitely towards the lower end of the Christie novels I've read in terms of enjoyment. It was a weird premise, and if I'm honest it was all just a bit lacklustre. 

The more I read of Christie's thrillers, the more I appreciate her puzzle mysteries. They're in a league of their own and for me, unfortunately, this just would never match up.




No comments: