8 January 2021

Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch


Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in London’s Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat he’ll face is a paper cut. But Peter’s prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peter’s ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

Description taken from Goodreads.

*

I remember buying Rivers of London a few years ago because I thought the idea sounded so interesting. Urban fantasy set in modern day London - something I've never read before! I finally made time to read it last week.

As soon as I started reading, I thought the narrative was so fun and light-hearted, and I was prepared for a great read. However, I did soon find that there were so many ideas thrown at the plot that it didn't feel very cohesive, and so that did dampen my enjoyment just a little.

Rating: ✫✫✫


The Story

I thought the idea for the plot sounded really interesting. I'm a huge fan of murder mysteries and fantasy fiction, but I don't think I have ever seen the two combined in this way before! And yet there's also another element to the story, of contemporary fiction. The tone of the book from the very first page is so incredibly light-hearted and amusing, and I really wasn't expected. However, it was incredibly enjoyable to read. As a narrator, Peter Grant is fun and witty, and viewing the events of the plot through his perspective is very refreshing.

The story itself, however, was very confusing. I loved certain aspects of the plot, and overall it had some fun plotlines. Yet it was just so chaotic! I do think this happens quite a lot, especially with new authors; they have so many ideas that don't necessarily blend well together into one cohesive plot, and it consequently makes the book very difficult to read. I felt this way from about halfway through Rivers of London, which wasn't helped by the super long chapters. It became a bit of a chore to read, which really disappointed me, as the book had so much potential!


The Verdict


As much as I enjoyed the book from the beginning, I think the light-hearted story was completely overwhelmed by complicated ideas that weren't done justice. That being said, there were a lot of positives to the story that could easily be improved in another book. Therefore, I'm still intending to give the next book in the series, Moon Over Soho, a go to see if there's some improvement. Fingers crossed!


No comments: