30 December 2020

Annual Wrap-Up: Top 10 Books of 2020


Unbelievably, we're now at the end of 2020! What a strange year it's been, and I'm really grateful to still be here, with my life relatively unchanged except for some minor difficulties. 

One of the only positive things to come out of this year is the amount of time I've had for reading. I'm really grateful for all of the wonderful stories I've been able to explore over the past twelve months. And I have to say, as years go, there have been a lot of great reads. Don't get me wrong, there have been a lot of bad and mediocre ones too. But I'm so happy with some of the fantastic books I've had the pleasure of reading.

In this post, I've singled out my top 10 of the year, all of which I rated five stars when I originally read them. It's impossible to rank them further, so they're in no particular order. However, I've included some information about why I loved them, how they made me feel, and why it might be worth your while to check them out too...


Rebecca 

- Daphne Du Maurier

Synopsis: 

The novel begins in Monte Carlo, where our heroine is swept off her feet by the dashing widower Maxim de Winter and his sudden proposal of marriage. Orphaned and working as a lady's maid, she can barely believe her luck. It is only when they arrive at his massive country estate that she realizes how large a shadow his late wife will cast over their lives--presenting her with a lingering evil that threatens to destroy their marriage from beyond the grave.

Why I loved it:

Not only did I know this was a favourite book of one of my best friends, but I felt the pressure to read Rebecca when I saw the new film was being released. Thankfully, I decided to take the plunge, and what I found was so much more than what I was expecting. I often struggle with classics, but this felt very modern and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to read. I also loved the dark, mysterious atmosphere, and the originality of some of the plot points. 

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you like classics that are a little darker, or that feel very modern. You should also read it if you like a  thriller or mystery, because this has all the best components of that genre wrapped up in it.


Before the Coffee Gets Cold 

- Toshikazu Kawaguchi

Synopsis:

In a small back alley in Tokyo, there is a café which has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. But this coffee shop offers its customers a unique experience: the chance to travel back in time.

In Before the Coffee Gets Cold, we meet four visitors, each of whom is hoping to make use of the café’s time-travelling offer, in order to: confront the man who left them, receive a letter from their husband whose memory has been taken by early onset Alzheimer's, to see their sister one last time, and to meet the daughter they never got the chance to know.

But the journey into the past does not come without risks: customers must sit in a particular seat, they cannot leave the café, and finally, they must return to the present before the coffee gets cold . . .

Why I loved it:

I found this book in a second-hand shop, and bought it for a pound. I'd seen people mention it, but was very unassuming when I started to read. A couple of hours later and I had finished the whole thing. It's an incredibly beautiful, powerful and uplifting story that feels very magical. It really tugged at my heartstrings and my soul.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you're looking for a quick and easy read that has some meaning. You should also give it a try if you're looking to inject something a little bit magical, or even just a little bit different, into your regularly scheduled reading.


The Guest List 

- Lucy Foley

Synopsis:

The bride ‧ The plus one ‧ The best man ‧ The wedding planner ‧ The bridesmaid ‧ The body

On an island off the coast of Ireland, guests gather to celebrate two people joining their lives together as one. The groom: handsome and charming, a rising television star. The bride: smart and ambitious, a magazine publisher. It’s a wedding for a magazine, or for a celebrity: the designer dress, the remote location, the luxe party favors, the boutique whiskey. The cell phone service may be spotty and the waves may be rough, but every detail has been expertly planned and will be expertly executed.

But perfection is for plans, and people are all too human. As the champagne is popped and the festivities begin, resentments and petty jealousies begin to mingle with the reminiscences and well wishes. The groomsmen begin the drinking game from their school days. The bridesmaid not-so-accidentally ruins her dress. The bride’s oldest (male) friend gives an uncomfortably caring toast.

And then someone turns up dead. Who didn’t wish the happy couple well? And perhaps more important, why?

Why I loved it:

I'd previously read The Hunting Party by the same author and loved it, but found some of the elements of the plot a little predictable. The Guest List, on the other hand, had all the great elements, but with that extra oomph that really made me sit up and pay attention. It was quick and easy to read, but also had that slow burn that works so well with thrillers. It also had so much detail that all came together at the end with some serious impact.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you like slow-burn thrillers that lead to a dramatic conclusion. This is also a great read if you enjoy quick chapters and multiple character POVs, and a lot of meaningful detail.


One of Us is Lying 

- Karen M. McManus

Synopsis:

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.

Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose?
Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

Why I loved it:

I'm a fan of both YA fiction and intricate mysteries, and this promised me a little bit of both. I was impressed pretty much immediately by the fun characters and light-hearted YA feel of the book, but also of the detailed plot that actually dealt with some serious storylines. It was an easy and quick read that had so much going on, and that had a really satisfying conclusion,

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you're a fan of YA fiction and murder mysteries, and especially if you're a fan of fun mash-ups of both! You should also pick this book up if you're looking for the ease of reading that YA fiction gives you, but would also like some more serious undertones to the story.


Supernova (of the Renegades series) 

- Marissa Meyer

Synopsis (of the first in the series, Renegades):

Secret Identities. Extraordinary Powers. She wants vengeance. He wants justice.

The Renegades are a syndicate of prodigies — humans with extraordinary abilities — who emerged from the ruins of a crumbled society and established peace and order where chaos reigned. As champions of justice, they remain a symbol of hope and courage to everyone... except the villains they once overthrew.

Nova has a reason to hate the Renegades, and she is on a mission for vengeance. As she gets closer to her target, she meets Adrian, a Renegade boy who believes in justice — and in Nova. But Nova's allegiance is to a villain who has the power to end them both.

Why I loved it:

I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book, which is what made it so incredibly wonderful to me when it was everything I wanted and more. This series isn't our regular heroes and villains story, because it focuses on the morality of both sides, and explores all of the different possibilities within. I loved the range of fun characters and the way they fitted into this well-crafted plot. The final book in the trilogy, Supernova was just sheer brilliance, power and satisfaction.

You can read my full series review here.

You should read it if...

... you're intrigued by a heroes vs villains narrative that really lets you immerse yourself in a brand new world. It's also a great recommendation for any YA fantasy fans that fancy something just a little different to what's already out there.


A Court of Mist and Fury (of the A Court of Thorns and Roses series) 

- Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis (of the first in the series, A Court of Thorns and Roses):

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

Why I loved it:

I only finished this series very recently, so I still feel very much like I'm part of that world! This was a series I really wasn't expecting to enjoy, because it was far higher fantasy than most of the series that I tend to like. However, it really takes the time to explore this other world, and the way the characters live within it. I loved the premise for the start of the story, and the series only got better as we are further immersed into the story. The second book in the series, A Court of Mist and Fury, had everything I wanted from a fantasy story, and filled my heart with joy consistently.

My full series review is coming soon!

You should read it if...

... you're looking for a fantasy series that's a little more mature, and that doesn't shy away from so many twists and turns. It's also worth reading for any fans of general fantasy fiction, and those who love romance in their series'.


Verdict of Twelve 

- Raymond Postgate

Synopsis:

A woman is on trial for her life, accused of murder. Each of the 12 members of the jury has his or her own burden of guilt and prejudice which could effect the outcome. Hailed as one of the best mysteries of the year when it was first published in 1940, this book has become a classic of the genre.

Why I loved it:

This was part of the British Library Crime Classics series, books from which I've been collecting happily for some time. I've not yet read another book of the collection that is on the same level as Verdict of Twelve, though. I loved the unique spin on a classic crime plot, where we get to see the way the jury perceives a court case. It was intriguing, captivating and utterly unique.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you're a fan of classic crime fiction with a twist. 


Crooked House 

- Agatha Christie

Synopsis:

In the sprawling, half-timbered mansion in the affluent suburb of Swinly Dean, Aristide Leonides lies dead from barbiturate poisoning. An accident? Not likely. In fact, suspicion has already fallen on his luscious widow, a cunning beauty fifty years his junior, set to inherit a sizeable fortune, and rumored to be carrying on with a strapping young tutor comfortably ensconced in the family estate. But criminologist Charles Hayward is casting his own doubts on the innocence of the entire Leonides brood. He knows them intimately. And he's certain that in a crooked house such as Three Gables, no one's on the level...

Why I loved it:

I was already a huge fan of Agatha Christie's before I came to read this book, so I didn't think I could be more impressed by her work than I already was. Enter Crooked House. This story is full of characters, full of detail, and full of clues, but the ending will still shock you. This is an example of some of the best crime fiction you could ever hope to read.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you're looking for an example of the perfect murder mystery, and reveal. This has the right atmosphere, characters, clues, and dramatic conclusion, so it's a must for crime fans.


Sense and Sensibility 

- Joanna Trollope

Synopsis:

John Dashwood promised his dying father that he would take care of his half sisters. But his wife, Fanny, has no desire to share their newly inherited estate with Belle Dashwood's daughters. When she descends upon Norland Park with her Romanian nanny and her mood boards, the three Dashwood girls—Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret—are suddenly faced with the cruelties of life without their father, their home, or their money.

As they come to terms with life without the status of their country house, the protection of the family name, or the comfort of an inheritance, Elinor and Marianne are confronted by the cold hard reality of a world where people's attitudes can change as drastically as their circumstances.

With her sparkling wit, Joanna Trollope casts a clever, satirical eye on the tales of Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Re-imagining Sense and Sensibility in a fresh, modern new light, she spins the novel's romance, bonnets, and betrothals into a wonderfully witty coming-of-age story about the stuff that really makes the world go around. For when it comes to money, some things never change. . . .

Why I loved it:

I'm an enormous fan of Jane Austen as it is, and was already familiar with Sense and Sensibility before I picked this book up. However, what I loved about the book was the way it stayed true to the heart of Austen's original novel, but brought it forward to a more contemporary audience. It was an easy and beautiful read that captured the essence of the original story perfectly.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you're looking for an accessible way to get into classic novels. This is a modern version of Jane Austen's first novel that would be perfect for those who are new to her work, or new to classics. Alternatively, it's a great read for existing Austen fans.


The Flatshare

- Beth O'Leary

Synopsis:

Tiffy and Leon share a flat
Tiffy and Leon share a bed
Tiffy and Leon have never met…

Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time.

But with obsessive ex-boyfriends, demanding clients at work, wrongly imprisoned brothers and, of course, the fact that they still haven’t met yet, they’re about to discover that if you want the perfect home you need to throw the rulebook out the window…

Why I loved it:

Sometimes, all you want is a book that will lift you up, make you laugh, and be a guaranteed happy read. The Flatshare was one such novel. It was a fun read that had me smiling and laughing constantly, whilst still maintaining a good level of depth to the plot. Characters and plotlines come together in this lighthearted story to create a wonderful love story that is perfect as a pick-me-up.

You can read my full review here.

You should read it if...

... you want a book that's guaranteed to lift your spirits, or satisfy your need for a cute romance. 

*

So there we have it!

My top 10 books of the year. If you've read any of them, I'd love to know what you think. And make sure to let me know which books have been your favourites in 2020!

*

Each synopsis was taken from Goodreads.

No comments: