23 November 2020

Winter Interlude - Sandy Loyd


Paul Morrison, a hunky, blond, financial planner, has been putting time and energy into winning the heart of Kate Winter’s best friend for almost as long as Kate, a strong willed antiques dealer, has been dating James Morrison, Paul’s brother.

The sparks start to fly when the two get stuck together for a three-hour drive to the mountains and years of misconceptions about each other are slowly being wiped out. They can’t move on because they are stuck on their idea of their perfect dreams. But sometimes life works in mysterious ways and they are all forced by circumstances to change.

Blurb taken from Goodreads.

*

As this piece of trash of a year comes to an end, I wanted something festive to read to get me into the happy Christmas spirit! Winter Interlude was a really lighthearted and fun read that really captured that little bit of winter magic. It doesn't have much depth, but was fluffy and comforting and way more enjoyable than I expected.

Rating: ✫✫✫


 
The Story

The plot of Winter Interlude is very straightforward. Boy meets girl, and they don't get on. Throw into the mix that she's dating his brother, and he's into her best friend. It's a recipe for chaos. But enemies turn to lovers in this really predictable bit of chick lit. On a ski trip alone together, they realise that maybe there is more to their relationship than they first thought.

This story was SO PREDICTABLE, and there's no escaping that. From the moment we meet the characters, it's incredibly clear what's going to happen, especially seeing as there really isn't that much to the plot. I would have liked to have seen much more detail and depth to bulk out the story a little bit. However, I can't deny that it was still a very satisfying read.

When I've downloaded other unknown ebooks in the past, I've often found this to be the case, and especially when it comes to the characters. Thankfully, in this case, this wasn't as much of a problem. There are very few secondary characters, which is a little bit of a problem in making the story credible. However, the two main characters are actually surprisingly well developed. I felt like I knew them, and I was rooting for them from very early on. I'm not sure it was entirely believable that they came to fall in love so quickly, but I certainly wasn't mad about it. I cam for cheese and cheese is exactly what I got. 


The Verdict

Unsurprisingly, this is not an outstanding book, and the story could really have used some depth in both plot and characters. 

However, it was fun and cute and exactly what I expected it to be. The story was simple but effective, the characters were endearing, and I'm pleased to say that I really enjoyed it. 


No comments: