20 October 2020

What Lies Between Us - John Marrs


Nina can never forgive Maggie for what she did. And she can never let her leave.

They say every house has its secrets, and the house that Maggie and Nina have shared for so long is no different. Except that these secrets are not buried in the past.

Every other night, Maggie and Nina have dinner together. When they are finished, Nina helps Maggie back to her room in the attic, and into the heavy chain that keeps her there. Because Maggie has done things to Nina that can’t ever be forgiven, and now she is paying the price.

But there are many things about the past that Nina doesn’t know, and Maggie is going to keep it that way—even if it kills her.

Because in this house, the truth is more dangerous than lies.

Blurb taken from Goodreads. 

*
I saw this book pop up when I was browsing before, and I recognised the author's name immediately. I read The One by the same author a few years ago now, and I absolutely LOVED it. (If you're interested, you can read my full review of that book here.) Therefore, I had really high hopes for What Lies Between Us.

As soon as I started reading the book, I could tell that I was really going to enjoy it. From the very beginning it felt tense in the way only a good thriller can, and this was sustained right to the shocking ending. I thought the way the story was constructed and delivered really added to the intensity of the narrative, and I think this is a must for thriller fans!

Rating: 

 

The Story

Maggie is chained in an upstairs bedroom by her daughter, who has never forgiven her for the things she has done in the past. 

The really interesting thing? As the story progresses, the more we learn about what actually happened between them, but the less we can trust what we read. I have to say, the twists and turns in this book were second to none. Normally, at some point (whether early or late), as a reader we're able to work out where the author is taking the narrative, and how things are going to end up. With What Lies Between Us on the other hand, every time I thought I had it figured out, something happened that made me doubt myself. Yet it all made sense and was completely natural.

I think what really creates such an effective atmosphere in this story are the characters of Nina and Maggie. As we learn more about their relationship, our allegiance switches. I cannot count the amount of times I switched who I was most sympathetic with, which is very rare for me. Normally I am with the same character the whole way through, but this story really kept me on the edge of my seat.

The way the small insights into the past are delivered - just enough to give us more information but not enough for us to be completely satisfied - is very clever. The plot was incredibly intricate, yet the story never felt complicated, and the dual narrative really gave us so much depth to the characters and their emotional responses. 

I absolutely devoured the book in little more than a single sitting because of the sheer ease of reading; an ease of reading that I'm coming to recognise, along with intricate and shocking plot twists, as a staple of this author's work.


The Verdict

How glad I am that I bought this book on a whim a few weeks ago - it definitely delivered!

This is a really fantastic thriller that ticked all the boxes for me. The story was interesting, detailed, and most importantly unique. The characters were intriguing, and kept me wondering who to trust. And the structure of the book was sound, giving me just enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, but also retaining the mystery for as long as possible.

If you're a thriller fan, you simply have to read this book. It's as simple as that.


No comments: