13 June 2020

30 Day Book Challenge // Day 12: Hard Copy or E-Book?


Day 12: Hard Copy or E-Book?

Day 12 is asking a really difficult question:

Do you prefer hard copies or e-books?

This is a really tough question for me to answer, because I like both for different reasons! I think they both have their benefits, and I definitely could not live without either my wall of hardcover and paperback books, or my kindle!

E-Books
I think e-books get a really bad reputation mongst readers. I understand that there is less of an attachment to specific books, but I really could not live without my kindle! I find it so much easier to turn the pages, which makes it easier for reading in bed, and it's super easy to make notes on the spot without worrying about damaging the book. It's also really comforting to know that I can carry around hundreds of books with me wherever I go, all on one device. E-books are a fantastic part of being a modern day bookworm, and I feel they deserve some credit!

Hard Copies
I have to say, despite my love for e-books, my automatic response when faced with this question was to go for hard copies. I just feel that there is an emotional connection we get from holiday a book in our hands, and it's really rewarding when we finally finish. It's also incredibly satisfying to be able to sit on my sofa and look at the wall of books I have across the other end of my living room. 

I think I would happily read e-books for the rest of my life, if it weren't for the fact that I when I come across a book I really love, I always want a hard copy to keep, and to pick up whenever I want to. Take my collection of Morgan Matson books, for example. I have all of them as hard copies, except for one; I have Since You've Been Gone as an e-book. My problem? Since You've Been Gone is my favourite of the set, and it sometimes makes me sad that I can't just pick it up and peruse it at will. 

Sometimes, we just want to be able to pick up and hold the stories that mean the most to us.


No comments: