15 May 2020

Turtles All the Way Down - John Green


It all begins with a fugitive billionaire and the promise of a cash reward. Turtles All the Way Down is about lifelong friendship, the intimacy of an unexpected reunion, Star Wars fan fiction, and tuatara. But at its heart is Aza Holmes, a young woman navigating daily existence within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.
Blurb taken from Goodreads.


When I was younger, I went through a phase where I read all of John Green's books in a really short space of time. The Fault in Our Stars, An Abundance of Katherines, Paper Towns; if John Green wrote it, I read it. I also enjoyed them. I always thought they were good reads, even if I wasn't going to ever re-read them. It's taken me a little while to get round to reading Turtles All the Way Down. It's actually my boyfriend's book, and I read it straight after him so we could discuss what we thought about it. 

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, but even so, it wasn't what I was anticipating. It was just as easy to read as Green's other books, and I sped through it. But it also surprised me. It was unique in that it focuses on a character who suffers with severe anxiety and poor mental health, which was very real, very raw, and very emotional. I'm not convinced the plot was done to its full potential, as it seemed to me that the story didn't really go anywhere, but I liked what journey there was. The real merits, however, came from the interesting characters and the relationships they formed throughout. I'm not sure I'd ever read this book again, but I did enjoy it a lot.

Rating: ✫✫✫✫

SPOILER ALERT


The Story

It's a little difficult to know where to start with this review, as there are a lot of different things I could say about this book, but these thoughts are currently all in a big jumble in my head. I think this is because although there was a plot to the book and things definitely happened, some of them were of such little substance that there isn't a massive amount to say. I'll just have to do my best.

I suppose the actual plot revolves around the mystery of Davis's father. He has disappeared and nobody knows where to look, least of all Davis and his younger brother Noah. Aza and Daisy take it upon themselves to get involved, and although they step away from the investigation shortly after, they are responsible for bringing closure to Davis. They are able to find the missing link to where Davis's father has been hiding, and this is the catalyst that brings the book to a close.

Although that's what I suppose would be deemed the 'main' plot, it actually has very little impact when compared to the other elements of the story. It ticks along in the background instead whilst Aza goes about her life.

Aza, as a character, has far more depth than the story. I really like the way that John Green chooses to write about characters that are not the romanticized versions of what they could be. In most young adult stories I find that the protagonists are flawed, but still somehow manage to be attractive, strong, and just generally admirable. Aza instead defines herself by her anxiety, and she was a really interesting character to follow. It was a really strong portrayal of the way anxiety can make thoughts unstoppable and invasive, and even control your life. I thought Aza was a very interesting character to feature in YA fiction.

Amidst the investigation and Aza's personal struggles, we see friendships emerge and grow that form the heart of the story. I actually think that these are the most important elements of Turtles All the Way Down. Reflecting on the story, the parts that stand out to me the most and that have stayed with me are the conversations that Aza had with Daisy, or with Davis. It's the way these relationships are formed that stand at the heart of the story, and I think that is what makes the book so enjoyable. The way Daisy calls Aza out for being selfish and disinterested. The way Davis is willing to understand Aza throughout her struggles. The best parts of the book for me were actually nothing to do with the investigation, and I loved reading about the interactions between the characters.

I'm also okay with the fact that Aza and Davis drifted apart at the end of the story. Knowing John Green's other books, it really could have gone in any direction, and I think this was a very realistic ending. Aza and Davis shared a connection that just couldn't withstand unrealistic distance and complications, and that happens sometimes. As much as I love a big happy ending, I was satisfied with this. For me, it signified that sometimes the people who touch our hearts and our lives aren't made to stay in them forever. 


The Verdict

I enjoyed this book, as I've enjoyed all of John Green's other books. They're always easy to read, and I can rely on his books for a quick fix of YA humour and warmth. I don't think this is my favourite, as I didn't find that the plot was as substantial as some of his other stories. However, there were some really important and beautiful elements to it.

Aza was a wonderful character to follow, because she was real. She suffered heavily from anxiety and paranoia, and we watched her struggle through a difficult life. This isn't documented in many works of fiction for young adults, and I think it's so important that it is normalized. 

Even more significant for me was the friendships that emerged. Daisy and Aza accept each other for who they are, faults and all. When they argued, Daisy was very openly critical of Aza for being self-centered; a fair and necessary honesty that is important for solid friendships. Davis accepted Aza for who she was, despite her bad days, and this is also an important message for young adults to read. 

When I first finished the book, I wasn't really sure how I felt about it. Looking back now, a couple of days later, there are some really substantial messages that were displayed naturally, and that I think are really important. 


No comments: