6 January 2019

Christmas Book Haul 2018



Another Christmas, another book haul. Unsurprisingly, every year, books seem to take up a huge chunk of my Christmas presents (for which, I am not complaining). 

For the first time in a few years, I didn't read as much as I'd hoped to in 2018, because so much happened and I just didn't have the time to set aside - shame on me!  However, I'm hoping to read a lot more this year, even if that is mainly textbooks to help with my Masters degree! But one thing's for sure, I have a lot of books to choose from!

Here's an insight into the books I got for Christmas this year...




Bloody Brilliant Women - Cathy Newman

Although I'm a huge lover of fiction, I also enjoy non-fiction, if the subject interests me. I already know that I'm going to love reading Cathy Newman's Bloody Brilliant Women, which tells the stories of significant and influential women of the present, and in history.

I think it's so important to be aware of what has come before us, particularly when it comes to the experiences and struggles of other people. As a feminist, I also know I'll thoroughly enjoy reading about the impact other women have had before me. Girls support girls!

From looking at the book at a glance, I already know quite a lot about many of the women included in the book (Edith Cavell, for example, is well known to me because of my History degree). However, I'm really excited to read about other notable women, finding out interesting facts and brushing up on my knowledge.





Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me is one I came across by accident, on one of my many trudges through Goodreads! This book, and the style with which it is written, seemed to be particularly controversial amongst fans, with equal parts saying they loved it, and hated it. So it's exactly the kind of book I wanted to acquire; something to test, so I can see what I think.  One to watch, for definite.

Save the Date - Morgan Matson

I've read a lot of Morgan Matson's books, and I've always found them to be really light-hearted and easy-going. They're perfect for when you want something quick to read, or if you don't want to have to concentrate too hard on an intricate plot. "Feel-good" is definitely a term you would use to describe Matson's books, and I'm looking forward to reading this one, probably during the sunny summer months!





The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle

I've been meaning to collect the Sherlock Holmes stories for a long time. When you think about it, it's quite strange, given how much I read, that I haven't already got them. So it's hardly a surprise that this turned up in the Christmas stocking to add to my extensive book collection.  It's about time, really!

I'm already very familiar with the detective, and the stories that he has been a part of. But I'm looking forward to reading them, and seeing if they match the images I've created in my mind; the famous detective and his loyal sidekick, and the mysteries they solve. So many people have put their own spin on Sherlock that I want to see what inspired it all. There have been countless adaptations of the stories, and many additional stories written by other authors since the originals - I'm eager to go back to the beginning and read some of Conan Doyle's original ideas.






A Court of Thorns and Roses (series) - Sarah J. Maas

This series was recommended to me by a friend, who knows my taste for fiction very well! So it's been on my list of books to get for a while. I'm not sure, from the blurb of the first book, that it would necessarily have been something I'd have picked out by myself. Yet I know it's had some really great reviews, and so I'm prepared to be very pleasantly surprised. I am, after all, a huge fan of a strong female lead.

It's been a long time since I got my teeth stuck into a series, and so this might be the one to get me back into the swing of fantasy and dystopian fiction! When it's done well, it is one of my favourite genres, so I'm keeping everything crossed that this series grips me from the very beginning.





The Sentence is Death - Anthony Horowitz

Ah yes. My old friend Anthony Horowitz. His book, The Word is Murder, was one of the first books I reviewed on this blog (ah, memories), and this is the next in the series about Detective Hawthorne. I think Horowitz is an excellent writer, but I just couldn't like the characters in the first book.

Nonetheless, I'm more than prepared to persevere, because The Magpie Murders, another of Horowitz' novels, is one of my favourite crime books. Horowitz is clearly a fantastic storyteller, and I'm hoping that The Word is Murder was just the beginning; a way to set the scene before the real excitement starts. I'm sure that The Sentence is Death will be intricate and gripping, so hopefully I'll find Hawthorne's next venture, and his personality, much more interesting this time around!

You can read my review of The Word is Murder here.





Eve of Man - Giovanna Fletcher & Tom Fletcher

I'm a huge fan of Giovanna and Tom Fletcher. I think they're great, and I've also enjoyed a couple of Giovanna's books in the past. However, what really made me want to read this book was the actual idea. 

I'm a real lover of dystopian fiction, and this ticked all the boxes for me. It sounds like it could be a cross between The Selection and Delirium, which are both series that I absolutely loved (go read them, seriously). I'm just not quite sure if this premise has enough interest or originality to keep it going for a whole trilogy, but I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

It's also been a long time since I started a series that still had books to be released. If this grips me, I could have a new obsession for the next couple of years!




At the Villa Rose - A.E.W. Mason

The Complete Four Just Men - Edgar Wallace

For Christmas last year, I received a book called The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books, which looks at some of the best crime fiction ever written. It discusses so many different stories, and what I really wanted was to be able to read these stories alongside this collection. 

These are just two of the books mentioned in the first chapter (as well as The Hound of the Baskervilles, which I now have in my complete collection of Sherlock Holmes stories!). I'm really looking forward to reading them, and seeing exactly why they made such an impact on other readers.




Before We Were Strangers - Renée Carlino

Swear On This Life - Renée Carlino

Although I like to read a lot of serious books, I am all about some light-hearted fiction, and I stumbled upon Renée Carlino not long ago. After reading the blurbs of these books, I thought they sounded like really good reads.

Both stories look to be about love, and about second chances. And both look to have plots that have the potential to move me. I am a sucker for a well-written love story. I'm sure I'll be devouring one of these books very soon into 2019, and I hope they don't fall short of my sky-high expectations.





Deadlier: 100 of the best crime stories written by women 
(edited by Sophie Hannah)

I originally saw this book at a friend's house, and couldn't help but pick it up and have a look through. I was so interested to see if any of the stories included were ones I knew of. The more I looked, the more I realised I needed to own this book, so that I could read a quick crime story whenever I liked. In many ways, short stories are harder to love than novels, but a lot easier to like.

So for the days when I don't want to start a new novel, or the weeks when I don't have time to commit to a whole book, this is going to be my 'go-to'. It's going to sit on my coffee table, for me to pick up whenever I have a spare half an hour. After all, just because you are busy, doesn't mean you should stop reading, right?




So there you have it - all of the books I received for Christmas. Some expected, and some surprises. Of course, this post doesn't take into account the piles and piles of books I have scattered around my house at the moment. I should probably stop typing and get to it! Happy new year, and happy reading. ♡

No comments: