27 June 2020

30 Day Book Challenge // Day 26: Your Favourite Book-to-Movie Adaptation


Day 26: Your Favourite Book-to-Movie Adaptation

I'm playing catch-up again with yesterday's challenge: your favourite book-to-movie adaptation!

I love watching adaptations of the books I've read. Although there have been a lot of adaptations that I haven't loved, when they're done well they can feel really magical. Watching your favourite worlds and characters come to life is a beautiful thing.

I've used a lot of my favourite adaptations already during this challenge, so decided to go for something a bit different for this one: The Princess Bride.

I'm always surprised when somebody tells me that they've seen The Princess Bride, and even more surprised when somebody else has read it. It was a bit of a staple in my house growing up, but I don't know many people who are the same. 

For those of you who don't know anything about it, here's the blurb:

What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?

As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles, and a Little Sex.

In short, it's about everything.
Blurb taken from Goodreads.

It's really hard to explain what it's about, and I'm not sure that blurb really does it justice. It's quirky, different and fun, and a really interesting read! It's meant to be a children's book, but I actually read it for the first time as an adult and felt I appreciated it just as much. You pick up on more of the little ironies and commentaries that aren't so obvious. 

If you're looking for something different, this is it!


No comments: