29 June 2020

30 Day Book Challenge // Day 29: A Book You're Surprised You Liked


Day 29: A Book You're Surprised You Liked

Being such a huge bookworm, I've inevitably come across books I didn't like, or books that I was super excited for but let me down. However, more interesting, I find, are the books that I don't really think I'll enjoy, but pleasantly surprise me.

There have been quite a lot over the years, but the first that sprang to mind was The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.

I remember seeing the book advertised online as a kind of cross between The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones, which really intrigued me. I had a little look into it and decided to download it, but I remained unconvinced. I'd read a lot of dystopian fiction, but I really didn't think fantasy would be for me. The kings and queens and knights, the long gowns and battles and cavalry. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy that. Nonetheless, I thought I'd give it a try.

How glad I am that I did. I cite this as the book as the one that introduced me to fantasy fiction, and I haven't looked back since.

If you haven't heard of it, here's the blurb:
n her nineteenth birthday, Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn, raised in exile, sets out on a perilous journey back to the castle of her birth to ascend her rightful throne. Plain and serious, a girl who loves books and learning, Kelsea bears little resemblance to her mother, the vain and frivolous Queen Elyssa. But though she may be inexperienced and sheltered, Kelsea is not defenseless: Around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power; and accompanying her is the Queen’s Guard, a cadre of brave knights led by the enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus. Kelsea will need them all to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon—from crimson-caped assassins to the darkest blood magic—to prevent her from wearing the crown.

Despite her royal blood, Kelsea feels like nothing so much as an insecure girl, a child called upon to lead a people and a kingdom about which she knows almost nothing. But what she discovers in the capital will change everything, confronting her with horrors she never imagined. An act of singular daring will throw Kelsea’s kingdom into tumult, unleashing the vengeance of the tyrannical ruler of neighboring Mortmesne: the Red Queen, a sorceress possessed of the darkest magic. Now Kelsea will begin to discover whom among the servants, aristocracy, and her own guard she can trust.

But the quest to save her kingdom and meet her destiny has only just begun—a wondrous journey of self-discovery and a trial by fire that will make her a legend . . . if she can survive.
Blurb taken from Goodreads.

The series is a really fascinating one, and as you get to the second and third books, the story takes on so many different levels. I loved Kelsea, and I thought the supporting characters that surrounded her were all so interesting and likeable too. There's been a lot of people who didn't like the ending to the series, and I have to admit that it wasn't my favourite ending, but I still enjoyed the series. 

I'd urge others to try these books too - they won't let you down!

If you've read the series and would like to read my full review, you can find it here.


No comments: