3 June 2020

30 Day Book Challenge // Day 2: A Book with a Plot Twist


Day 2: A Book with a Plot Twist

When I created the template for this challenge, I thought this would be a really easy day to tick off. I love crime fiction and psychological thrillers, so I figured it would be super easy to choose a book with a plot twist to focus on. How wrong I was! It turns out I've read so many books with plot twists that narrowing them down was a huge challenge.

After deliberating for a while, I chose to post about Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. This is a psychological thriller with lots of twists and turns that kept me intrigued! If you don't know of this book already, here's the blurb:
Christine wakes up every morning in an unfamiliar bed with an unfamiliar man. She looks in the mirror and sees an unfamiliar, middle-aged face. And every morning, the man she has woken up with must explain that he is Ben, he is her husband, she is forty-seven years old, and a terrible accident two decades earlier decimated her ability to form new memories.

Every day, Christine must begin again the reconstruction of her past. And the closer she gets to the truth, the more unbelievable it seems.
Blurb taken from Goodreads.

I remember downloading this book onto my kindle purely because I saw that they were releasing a film adaptation. I've always been determined to read the original book before watching a televised adaptation, just like most bookworms. However, as my first foray into the genre of psychological thriller, I was a little intimidated. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was really excited.

As soon as I started reading, I knew I would love Before I Go To Sleep. It was easy to read but sophisticated, and I loved the whole thing. It really introduced me to the wealth of fiction out there that explored similar themes, and I've now got a huge pile of thrillers on my shelf, read and unread.

I think what I love most about them is the fact that they have plot twists. It keeps your brain working and your mind guessing while you're reading, which I love. That's what I've always loved so much about crime fiction as well. I thought the plot twist in Before I Go To Sleep was pretty dark, and very powerful. I had an inkling of what was to come, but never guessed the full truth. 

If you're a fan of a good plot twist, or just a psychological thriller, I would definitely recommend this book. I rated it five stars on Goodreads when I first read it, and it's definitely time I began it again...


No comments: