13 June 2020

30 Day Book Challenge // Day 13: Your Favourite Book of the Year So Far


Day 13: Your Favourite Book of the Year So Far

What an interesting question for Day 13!

I've read a lot of books so far this year, and I've enjoyed almost all of them thoroughly, so this is a really interesting day to consider. I set a Goodreads goal every year to try and maximise my reading, so and I've always got a wide choice of books to choose from! When making this challenge, my favourite book of the year so far was Raymond Postgate's Verdict of Twelve. I loved the classic crime feel, and the interesting perspective that focused on the jurors.

Since then, I've read a few more books and changed my mind about my favourite. I'm now choosing One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus.

I'd heard a lot about these books, especially since joining bookstagram! I heard that they were perfect for fans of series like Pretty Little Liars and Gossip Girl, and I was concerned they would be a little, dare I say it... trashy.

I'm so pleased to say that they definitely weren't at all!

I actually fell in love with One of Us is Lying as soon as I started reading it. It was fun, fast-paced, and easy to read. I didn't even find it confusing trying to keep up with all the different main characters. It just felt easy!

I thought the book did a really great job of combining YA with a muder mystery. It felt really clever and detailed but also contemporary at the same time, and that was really refreshing! I read a lot of both crime and YA, and this was a nice mix of both! 

What I loved most, however, was the way the characters all spread really positive messages to us, The author doesn't shy away from really important and sometimes dark themes and plotlines, and I really appreciated that. It made it accessible for a young audience, and I imagine could have a profound effect on readers in their late teens. 

I would definitely recommend One of Us is Lying and One of Us is Next to anyone who is thinking of reading them! 

If you have read them and are interested in reading my full review, you can find it here.



No comments: